Mr Jim Carmichael
B.Med.Sci., B.M., B.S., M.Sc., F.R.C.S. Tr. Orth.
Consultant Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon
Jim Carmichael is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in disorders of the foot and ankle. He was appointed as a substantive consultant in the NHS in 2010 to Peterborough and Stamford NHS foundation trust (now North-West Anglia NHS Foundation trust). His clinical practice covers all surgery of the foot, ankle with some related conditions in the knee and all aspects of trauma orthopaedics. He is involved in research and development, teaching and practice development and has been awarded 2 Clinical Excellence Awards for his work in developing the North West Anglian Diabetic Foot Service.
Jim grew up and went to school locally. He completed his surgical training on the south coast before undertaking fellowships at the North Sydney Orthopaedic and Sports Injury Clinic under Dr David Wood and Dr Merv Cross. On return to the UK he then undertook a further fellowship under Mr James Calder at the Clinic for Foot and Ankle Surgery and Chelsea and Westminster Hospital before returning to the Peterborough area to take up his consultant position.
His Clinical interests are centred around surgery of the foot, ankle, and knee including:
- Sports injuries of the foot, ankle and knee
- Arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery of the foot, ankle and knee
- Rheumatoid and degenerative disorders of the foot and ankle.
- Joint fusions of the foot and ankle
- Reconstructive surgery of the ligaments and tendons of the ankle and foot
- Disorders of the Achilles tendon
- Deformity correction of the foot and ankle
- Heel pain and plantar fasciitis
- ESWT (shock wave therapy)
- Diabetic Foot Disease.
Orthopaedics is a rapidly developing surgical specialty. As such, orthopaedic surgeons are required to maintain an extensive portfolio of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). In order to maintain knowledge levels at the forefront of the field Jim maintains membership to the following professional organisations
- General Medical Council
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.
- East Anglian Foot and Ankle Society.
- International Bone Research Association.
In addition to the individual and personal research projects, Jim is committed to the ongoing development of orthopaedics. He is the research lead for Orthopaedics at the North West Anglia NHS Trust. As such he has been involved in several large scale Multi Centre trials.
- Site Principle Investigator for TODFU – Topical Oxygen Delivery in the treatment of Diabetic Foot Ulcers.
- Site Principle Investigator for PATH-2 – Platelet Rich Plasma in the treatment of Acute Achilles Rupture
- Site Investigator for ART – Ankle Fracture Rehabilitation Trial.
The foot and ankle team at Peterborough City Hospital has gained a reputation for providing high quality and reliable training for the trainees from the Cambridge based East of England Higher Surgical Training Rotation. This training involves supervising registrars in the academic and clinical development of their career.
Nationally, he is an accredited instructor on the Advanced Trauma Life Support Course. He has also been invited faculty to numerous national level courses run by the British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society and international courses run by the International Bone Research Association. To date, Jim has been invited faculty on the following courses:
- 2021 – IBRA virtual foot and ankle course.
- 2021 – Winglet Webinar series - Ankle Sprain, a simple story.
- 2021 – British Orthopaedic Association, Lectures of Distinction - The Adult Acquired Flat Foot.
- 2021 – British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, Annual Scientific Meeting, Faculty.
- 2021 – IBRA Master course: Contemporary challenges and perspectives in foot and ankle surgery.
- 2020 – British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, Lectures of Distinction, Advanced ankle arthritis.
- 2019 – Ankle and Hindfoot Trauma, Basel.
- 2019 – International Bone Research Association Advanced Foot and Ankle Course, q London, Course Chairman
- 2018 – European Foot and Ankle Society, Geneva “Swiss Solutions to Common Foot and Ankle Challenges”
- 2018 – International Bone Research Association Advanced Foot and Ankle Course, q London, Course Chairman
- 2018 – British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society – Principles Course, Cambridge
- 2018 – Cambridge Cadaveric Foot and Ankle Workshop
- 2017 – Advanced Trauma and Life Support Cheltenham.
- 2017 – Foot and Ankle Round Table, Cardiff.
- 2015 – British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society – Principles Course, Leicester
- 2013 – Foot and Ankle Round Table, Barcellona
- 2013 – Leicester Foot and Ankle Trauma Course.